Careers & Vacancies
All students must be over 16 years of age. Students between the age of 16 and 18 years will be considered if they are seeking a career as a veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse. These students can only “see practice” on the premises of our Penwortham surgery.
Students over the age of 18 years may be able to accompany the farm vets on their farm calls. Priority has to be given to any vet students requiring EMS hours.
New Graduate Scheme
We are a mixed practice in Lancashire close to the city of Preston.
Our main practice has achieved Veterinary Hospital status under the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme.
We also have 3 branch surgeries which are all assessed to Core Standards. We have recruited and trained many new graduate vets over the years and know that a supportive, environment is conducive to learning and to ease the transition from vet school into your first job. During our two year scheme, we will offer on-the-job training by experienced vets and vet nurses to improve clinical skills and to enhance customer care and communication skills. We also offer a CPD programme designed especially for the new graduate vet.
Our Commitment to you
- Starting salary of £30k per annum including housing allowance
- Annual salary review
- RCVS fees are paid
- VDS cover is provided
- OV training is funded
- Fully funded CPD through one of the 3 providers:
- Individually tailored CPD up to a value of £1,500 per year
- Regular Vet clinical and housekeeping meetings
- Monthly in-house CPD
- 24 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
Your Commitment to us
- To work for Ribble Vets for the two-year term
- To take full part in the vets day and out of hours rota. Initially a phased introduction to the out of hours rota. This is followed by full participation with 24-hour support by a nurse and with a clinical director on backup
- Currently, this is one in 6 on calls
- 1 week of nights followed by 1 week of lieu
- 1 in 6 Saturday and Sunday day time shifts
- Core working hours are 08.30 – 17.00
- There are 1.5 late evening surgery per week (until 19.00)
- NB, Rota move ups will be necessary to cover holidays. These are equally shared across the vets (including the Directors)
- Commitment to a training agreement for the two year period. Should you leave before the end of the fixed term, you would be liable to refund a percentage of the training fees.
Ribble Vets, Penwortham, Lancashire
– Temporary Maternity Cover Experienced Small Animal Vet
We require an experienced small animal vet to join our team on a temporary basis to cover 6-9 months maternity leave.
The ideal candidate will have over 2
The rota includes 1:6 night/OOH work in our purpose built Veterinary Hospital in Penwortham, with generous time off following the on-call period. We have a large caseload with plenty of
Our independent practice has a big team of 15 vets (eight small
Why we’re great according to our team:
Our large team is friendly and caring, with a nice balance between experience and newly qualified energy. Our nurses and support staff are at the top of their game.
We’re proud to provide our own out of hours emergency cover, giving our vets the chance to retain their cases in-house and work them up to a higher level, and our patients and clients seamless care.
Our consultations are a minimum of 15 minutes, with sufficient breaks between blocks to catch up on call-backs, paperwork or grab a cuppa!
Our lovely new purpose-built practice is bright, airy and a pleasurable place to work.
We have a very varied medical and surgical caseload and excellent facilities including eight consulting rooms including one dedicated to bereavement, two operating theatres, separate dental, x-ray and diagnostic rooms, five wards, ultrasonography, digital x-ray, endoscopy, hydrotherapy and k-laser. We strive to provide the best and most current treatments.
Our environment is supportive. We actively encourage CPD, including regular in-house clinical evenings with guest lecturers, and case discussion sessions. We have